Thursday, October 1, 2009

Day 46

Hello from Chicago! In fact, hello from Natalie's house (you remember Natalie, my number one blog fan?). That's right--you too can receive a visit from me if you consistently read this blog and share your insights with me online!

Just kidding. We're old friends and I'm visiting for the holiday. But anyway, she totally agreed with me about relaxing and letting go and finding my own rhythm. In fact, she pointed out that she and I both respond badly when people tell us what to do and exactly how to do it, and that that may be why I was bridling against the very specific and strict standards I set up for myself. It also may be why, when left to my own devices, I was able to simply do what had to get done.

Incidentally, I find that I'm getting more accurate at gauging what's important to me, how long it will take, where it lies on my list of priorities, and at making faster decisions about what I am and am not going to do. I LOVE that!

I'm not exactly sure how that relates to what I'm doing with my habits, but I have a feeling that it does. I also just started reading this amazing book, Happy for No Reason, by Marci Shimoff (I think that's the right spelling), and the author shares all of these discoveries around happiness that parallel what I've been finding out about organizing! Mainly, that you can change your "happiness set point" by practicing happiness habits, just like I think I can become a more naturally organized person by practicing organizing habits.

There's much more to it, and even though I haven't finished the book yet I think everyone should go read it. It's revolutionary.

Since I'm traveling, I'm implementing my traveling version of organized habits, like putting things away as quickly as possible (this needs a little work) and keeping my stuff in one organized area. It helps that Natalie has an entire finished basement that I consider "one organized area."

The fact that Natalie can actually comment firsthand now on how I'm doing should really be inspiring me to be at the top of my game, and yet...I think I'm just going to keep doing the best that I can. So far, it's pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment